Zucchini Lasagna (modified from Fitmen Cook’s recipe)
So I found this recipe on BodyBuilding.com. It’s pretty simple and taste yummy. Of course you know me, or maybe you don’t, but I had to doctor it up a little bit.
I added ricotta cheese (skim milk version), sauteed spinach and baby portobella musrooms when I made my version. It was so delicious. Please note, there are no pasta noodles in this dish. It’s gluten free! So eat up and enjoy.
- 1 lb. extra-lean ground turkey/ ground chicken (you decide)
- 1.5 cup low-sodium basil marinara sauce (I usually make mine from “scratch” using a low sodium generic tomato sauce as my base. If you’d like my sauce recipe, just add a comment and I’ll post it.)
- 1 zucchini
- 2/3 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup low-fat/skim milk ricotta cheese
- 1 egg white
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat mozzarella (optional)
- Seasonings for meat such as garlic powder, onion powder, and/or black pepper.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Season ground turkey/chicken and cook until completely brown. Add marinara sauce to the pan create the meat sauce and stir.
- Slice zucchini into thin slices.
- Mix cottage cheese, ricotta cheese and egg white in a separate bowl. Season with black pepper.
- In a custard dish or small foil tin, layer zucchini, meat sauce, and 1-2 tbsp of cottage cheese mixture. Repeat until jar is full (possibly 1 more time)
- Add one final layer of meat sauce to the top, then finish with 1/4 cup mozzarella.Repeat for remaining 2 containers.
- Bake for 30 minutes